Saturday 22 May 2010

Life in Surrey!






Its going to be a year soon. Life in the UK....its nice, weird, different, not at all sunny but love it!
I have been thinking of creating this blog for such a long time, to put all my stories together. I actually do have a lot of them. I think everyone does. So, it will be interesting, if we get to share them with each other. In fact, we do to a lot extent, all those facebook and twitter updates are like snap shots of those stories.
From being a tour guide in India, to being a tourism student in the UK. Wow! I can see this life, showing me so many different aspects. Everyday is like a new beginning. Meeting new people, getting to know your friends a bit more, seeing places which probably I thought existed only on TV. Reading and learning about strategies and operations...it is kind of interesting.
But, the reason which motivated me to actually get myself together and put up this blog, is to try and find out what are the reasons for people to travel. What does this young generation expect and want when they travel. Being a tourism student, everyday I get to read so many articles and journals about the motivations to travel. But, every time there is one new angle to this.
Do they travel for fun, for stress busting, to learn and experience new things, to meet new people, etc. Is it in order to escape from reality even for a short while or to find something real? What and why?? Everyday, I keep trying to find an answer to this question, but even with all the reading and philosophies and whatsoever, I fail. Therefore, in order to get into the depth of it, I decided to take this as my research topic for my MSc.
So, you tell me what are your motivations to travel. Would you like to go on a 'group holiday', if you can? What are things you would like to do, how much you want to spend. What comes to your mind when you first think of travel?
I hope, some of you would find it interesting and help me get an answer to this....Looking forward to hearing from all of you.
Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog. I love to travel because of all the newness. I love the feeling of being lost in a new place and then slowly discovering it layer by layer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, how every new place opens up a new mystery...something which we were not even sure, if existed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bro! Congrates for a great start:)
    I travel to see the unseen. I love the excitement of seeing something new and once i have seen it i am even more excited to show it to the other people again and again. I travel to explore myself, to know myself even more. I meet a lot of people and i compare myself to them and i often think what i am. Its a give and take process so i give something and take something and when the process is complete i search new people who can be a part of this process.Travel for me also making friends and fall in love with whoever i meet and its a great feeling falling in love with the places you have been to and falling in love with the people who have met. I also love taking pictures and travel gives me more than enough opportunities to do that. i have a big dream to write a book one day and my travel has already offered me so many characters for my book and many more yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I travel? I do it to see the great monuments made by human hands, to admire the landscapes formed in ages, to observe the way of peoples and people all over the world, to see their reactions and gestures. In learning about foreign countries I learn as well to appreciate my home. In differences and common things the world appears small and big at the same time.

    Always I hope that I will not get in a situation where I feel that the people present things to me because I’m a tourist to please me, but in their heart thinking how stupid I must be – but it is sure to happen every single time. But I fear I don’t see any way of avoiding that. It probably is the curse of tourism and I'm ready to face it.

    I prefer going in a group for several reasons: besides the more mundane ones like security, it obviously is far more interesting to see the place you are going to and the people you are meeting not only through your own eyes. As well the motivations to travel are so different and people contribute their different life experiences. If one is really lucky you can make great friends.
    Do I prefer adventure tours? I have done adventure holidays as well as “non-adventure” holidays. The difference is mostly in the age of the people travelling. In my opinion it is less in the luxury attached to the travels. It is just adjusted to the ways people of the respective ages learned what is “the” way of travelling. So weather you dig yourself through ancient ruins or roam over a market is just the same – the thing “you do” on a journey. So I enjoyed my adventure tours, because I understood that ancient ruins are not everything; the nowadays life of people is very interesting too. But if that presentation of nowadays life degenerates to a circus for tourists, I’d rather stick to the ancient ruins. They after all are dead and can only pretend life anyway.

    All things considered – I adore travelling. That is because it forces me to test my prejudices, my conceit and my hypocrisy, to be challenged in my way of looking at the world, and of course – “to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before”. ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://thepointistotravel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete